The TLM 170 R* was the first microphone to use the successful fet 100 technology. Along with a balanced, transformerless output stage it features extremely
low self-noise and an impressive dynamic range.
Five directional characteristics are selectable by means of a rotary switch.
In the sixth position, marked "R", the directional patterns can be controlled remotely with the N 248 power supply.
There is no special cable necessary for this purpose.
The microphone has at its rear a 10 dB attenuation switch for extremely high sound pressure levels, and a high-pass filter to suppress structure born noise.
The rotary switch on the microphone must be in the position R (= remote control).
In this switch position the TLM 170 R microphone analyses the absolute value of the phantom power and selects the corresponding polar pattern.
A standard 3-pin microphone cable is used, similar to the microphone's conventional operation. Cable lengths may be up to 300 m (1000 feet).
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit.
As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference, that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Use on tripods
The TLM 170 R is provided with a tilting side bracket to attach the microphone to booms or stands.
The bracket is equipped with rubber elements that effectively protect the microphone from mechanical shock.
If necessary, it can be mounted on the other side of the microphone as well.
When using the IC 4 cable (for example to suspend the microphone from the ceiling with the MNV 87 auditorium hanger),
the bracket and its holder need to be removed. The microphone can then be connected to the swivel mount connector of the cable.
Filter and attenuation
The TLM 170 R microphone has a 10 dB attenuation switch to prevent the input of the following unit from being overloaded.
A second switch at the rear allows to attenuate the frequency response below 100 Hz to suppress undesired structure borne noise.
- All exposed surfaces of the capsule, including the diaphragms, are at ground potential.
- This technology makes them highly immune to electrical and atmospheric interference and contamination through dust particles.
- *The design of the microphone is a registered design of the Georg Neumann GmbH in certain countries.
- Local and remote controlled large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure-gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- Five directional characteristics: omni, wide angle cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure-8
- Patented circuitry for remote and local switching of directional characteristics
- Switchable low frequency roll-off and 10 dB preattenuation
- Tiltable, elastically suspended bracket mount
Neumann TLM 170R Black Microphone
- Brand: Neumann
- Product Code: Neumann TLM 170R Black
- Availability: In Stock
- Ex Tax: $3,199.95